Wednesday, February 3, 2016

YOW

Yesterday, I flew to a different airport for the first time.


The airport in question was the Gatineau executive airport. The runway is a bit wider and definitely longer than Rockcliffe's. They have landing approach sequence lights, which I noted because I wish it had been a bit later and they'd therefore been flashing.

It marks somewhat of a milestone for me because it's the first time I've landed at an airport other than the one of origin and after months of flying over Quebec, I finally landed on it, multiple times. The same day, after a long period of studying, I also took a critical exam I needed to pass in order to fully move ahead with the whole flight training. I passed in one try, with a 98%. Studying really helps. I can continue forward and get my student pilot permit.

Next week is even better. I will be flying over to and landing at Ottawa International Airport (YOW) and doing the same touch-and-go circuit flying I did at Gatineau yesterday. The whole purpose is to finesse and practice approach and landing (landing being a place where most pilots make serious or fatal mistakes). Once this is down, I can fly solo. That'll really be something.

I put a lot of excitement into going to YOW because it's a big international airport with a control tower and runways that take on huge jumbo jets and 747s. Imagine landing on a runway used by airlines and international flights for commuter travel. Rockcliffe isn't more than a civilian airport for people who own aircraft to use - nothing much bigger than single-engined privately-owned aircraft use its runway. Gatineau can accommodate small passenger jets. Ottawa - that's the big league. Runway 14/32 is over several kilometres long. I do that on Monday, weather-permitting. I'll definitely film it like I did for Gatineau, as well as try to get a picture or two afterwards.

Also long overdue, this is the steep turns video from November last year.

The sped-up portions of video show clearly how imperfect my flying is as the plane rises and falls over and over across the terrain.

Red Cloud
"

No comments: