Monday, August 3, 2015

Three Men

I should have written a review on this film when I finally watched it almost two months ago. Back in May I decided to listen to a song that had come and gone in my head for over a decade, a song that turned out to be called 'Bad Boy' by Miami Sound Machine. In terms of that song, I haven't really come back and listened to it since. I guess it was just something to put a finger on considering it came and went all that time. Nothing about it shined to me other than the bright chorus.

The song did, however, really spur my interest in seeing the Three Men and a Baby film it opened, though. I wanted to see that introduction I'd remembered, as well as properly watch something I could only recall glimpses of and read about on Wikipedia. Plus my mother's convinced I somewhat look like Steve Guttenberg. I don't really look like anyone in my opinion. Unless you count both my parents.

Before I go into what I saw, I want to mention what I could remember and therefore take from what I thought of the film's plot beforehand. The only actual scene I remembered was of these two men putting the baby in a car at a busy street side. The two men were sinister in a way, but not necessarily bad (my mind didn't label them as bad because I thought they were the main characters, so if they were sinister or bad, it was a mild, good version of it, like bad guys who aren't that bad or turn truly good at the end). There really is such a scene in the film, but the two men actually are antagonists and not the main characters. And they're about to put the baby in their trunk.

The film was also a chance to see Tom Shelleck; all I'd seen were pictures and if I think I look even remotely like someone, we share a moustache. Interestingly, the film was directed by Leonard Nimoy, so that was also a neat element.

The opening scenes were more layered than I ever remembered them; they depict not just wall drawings but the Michael character (played by Guttenberg) painting those drawings, interspersed with an overall glimpse of how all three men live in the apartment. All three largely entertain women as they come and go, etc. It also shows their professions somewhat, with Peter's (Shelleck's) architect drawing equipment and Jack's (Danson's) acting. Michael's cartoons are the main subject.

The film was largely enjoyable. The plot played out very interestingly and ran smoothly. The only thing I didn't like too much was Michael's panicky care of the baby when it first shows up (it can't be that scary) and the mother Sylvia's almost childlike dependence at the end. The plot line is very simple: Three self-interested men who have a hedonistic lifestyle while living together wind up with a baby (well, two of them at first - the third is out of the country on a film set). Two drug dealers are mixed in thanks to a favour and a mix-up, but in the end all three fall in love with parenthood and become dedicated surrogate fathers until the mother shows up. Then she willingly joins the three in taking care of the baby girl.

I don't have too much to point out or note about the film's plot or action. It delivered on what I was hoping for and was interesting from beginning to end. There were some sweet moments I really liked. The scene where they're at an infant-oriented pool full of mothers, three men carrying a baby in the water together and filming it looked quite unusual in a funny way. I would watch it again. It even made me look up a song by the Young Rascals called 'Good Lovin' that plays near the beginning of the film.

What I also largely found was that I saw a lot of stuff I almost kind of envied in a materialistic sense. The nice spacious lofty apartment, the way each guy has his own personality and interests really displayed via material items, etc. They really seem to have it made. I'm not saying I want an expensive space with all the material wonders of my interests, but I can't wait to have my own style when I do ultimately get my own space.

Film: B+

One other thing I really noticed was the age difference between all three of them - Shelleck would have been 42, Ted Danson 40, and Guttenberg a mere 29. His youthfulness does show compared to the other two.

Update August 25, 2015: I recently watched it again and realized one of the drug dealing antagonists - the one that silently stands behind the one that does all the talking - is actually Earl Hindman, i.e. Wilson from Home Improvement. If anyone's interested in seeing his entire face, it's all over the first half of the film, often smiling. He doesn't say much though...I feel like he rarely said anything in any role prior to his eight-year stint as Wilson, who talks all the time, often eloquently.

I'd watch it again. I just need a DVD of it. The TV-recorded VHS is lying around somewhere, but the VHS itself doesn't work anymore and I'd rather watch a version that wasn't 'edited for time.'

Red Cloud
"

No comments: