Saturday, February 21, 2015

Something Brought Up From Deep Within the Subconscious

You ever find yourself in a state of absent-mindedness, or deep thought at something, or just random thinking, and some sound or bit of music fades into your mind from virtually nowhere, just an absent sound that's been there forever, but you don't know where it came from?

It's pretty amazing and probably feel-good when you finally actually hear the actual music or sound.

An hour ago, I happened to have this kind of rediscovery. It was via the TV, and I was thankfully able to get upstairs to see the title/artist of the song.


For me it was this song's introduction, particularly the ending before the first verse launches onwards. That last bit of intro would enter my mind now and then randomly throughout the years, although not recently, more when I was a younger teen. I never knew why or what it was or where it came from.

I think it's pretty neat when a song or a part of a song can integrate into someone's subconscious background thoughts to the point you recognize the sound but can't recall where it came from, but it's there. And now I've finally heard the song it came from, I'm quite impressed with the song itself.

In terms of song info, it came out in 1999. When I saw it on TV, I thought it was a late 70s-era song due to the simplicity of it and the general sound. There's a quote by the vocalist on Wikipedia explaining that he wrote it about his divorce from his first wife, to whom he apparently wasn't faithful, explaining her pleasure at moving on from him (as opposed to being sullen or 'sour' the day they met).

Before writing this, I tried figuring out some of it on the bass. I definitely know that the root note of this song is G. In thinking about the general notes used, I would guess the scale is G melodic minor. The verses begin in G; the chorus starts on B flat. But playing to the song itself was not easy right away; the introduction isn't impossible, but its transition to the first verse sounds confusing in time and root note.

Having listened to it more than several times now (I obviously quite like it) there are many elements of it that I like. Often music will synesthetically give me circumstances or situations as often as it will give me personalities or memories or visuals. For instance, the introduction makes me think of a situation where someone has been indecisive up to the last possible second, and everything has become hopeless. The music sounds tired and grave and at the end of its rope, it's 4am.

I like the progression the verses take. It sounds solid to me, as well as multi-faceted.

Apart from the bass and my synesthetic interpretation of it, I quite like the vocal melody of the verses as well. I love Weiland's high notes with 'she was a happy girl the day that she left me,' etc. That actually gives me an image of the original tall, white, concrete south side stands at Lansdowne Park, in morning sunlight, seen from the canal. I attribute the shape and colour of the very white form I get when he sings that one high note in his vocal. White in a sunny-bright way.

It's a nice easy-going song. The drums aren't heavy or overbearing, and the music is simple, bass-led with some acoustic guitar and understated electric guitar that slowly moves centre-stage towards the end. I like the after-chorus hook; that was the other bit of the song that had hung around in my mind for a long time.

Finally, I like the lyrics. Not in the way they're supposed to be interpreted though. I take a more personal view of them. "Hey, what are you looking at?" and "What would you do if I followed you?" stand out quite a bit to me. I just think about the times in which I think because a girl keeps looking at me, I think she likes me in some way, and I interpret it so until it's proven that's not the case, which has happened more often than not. Therefore - what are you looking at? I'm sure everyone finds that frustrating.

I take the chorus lyric as a sort of lightly jocular romantic phrase in a circumstance involving a simple crush on someone, even though it's far from it. Like seeing someone you like and ensuring you're close because you like them, maximizing the time you see each other.

My view of the lyrics is quite in contrast to how they're actually written and intended, but hey, everyone has their own personal feeling and idea with something they like.

The last thing I'll mention is the music video. The lighting is pretty cool; the animal costumes are quite unusual and ominous. When I saw that, I could have sworn I may have seen some random scene of it before, long ago, because those bunny-like characters didn't look absolutely unfamiliar.

Music: A-
Lyrics: B+

Very pleased to hear the actual origin of what's been buried in my subconscious for so long.
Red Cloud
"

No comments: