Saturday, April 16, 2011

Final Video, The

Yesterday night I went out to see the final outcome of my project with Evan Mochizuki at Longfields-Davidson Heights.


To recount how it happened, late last Summer I got a message from the drama teacher asking if I could help with something video-related. Then I met up with him and we discussed the nature and direction of the project. That was late August. It's all written down in posts from that time, here.


In September, and lasting through to early-mid November, I would meet with him almost once a week at the school to present the new footage and imagery I had and how I'd implemented it. I went downtown on Thanksgiving Weekend to shoot footage, though that became lost somehow and it was never used (which was maddening because it was the only actual downtown footage I'd accumulated).


In result I simply took a lot of older footage I had spanning several years, as well as filming new night footage near my grandparents at Bruce Pits. Around November 21st (I know this date because I did a time-lapse at my grandparents with my SLR and it's on YouTube) I went out with my cousins to capture them running around in the dark with the lights taken from solar-powered garden lanterns. I set this all to the music that Mochizuki provided me, which was a song called 'Gobbledigook' by Sigur Ross.


The finished product was put under Mochizuki's use in early December and from then on it would be used to coordinate the actors' sequences and moves as well as (according to the teacher) show other people. It was tested on the auditorium's screen and arranged and all that stuff that goes on as the play it put together. Finally, starting on April 14th I believe, the play opened and people went in to see it. I followed last night.


Because I didn't care to export the actual video I did to my computer and only to the DVD, I filmed the opening sequence myself as I watched. Partly so I could watch my own video myself (along with the actors' involvement) and partly so I had a record of it.



This, then, is the final product of my work. The whole video. Watched by people of the school as well as members of the community.


It was pretty cool. I ended up laughing (the unseen source of the laughing in the video is actually me) because people I didn't know, locals, everyone, were seeing footage I'd collected everywhere over the years. Things from a sped-up drive down Greenbank Road in 2007 to me mowing the lawn in 2009 to several scenes of the sun coming up - over my yard. I wish I was more diverse in that manner. There was a shot of the Algonquin cafeteria I'd time-lapsed one Thursday in late 2009. Another very brief one consisted of a pool in a backyard, as my half-sister zooms around the side with my half-brother on the diving board. That was my uncle's place in probably 2007.


I found it very funny that large amounts of other people I didn't know where seeing this stuff. And enjoying it or marveling at the fact this play had such a 'professional' video introduction (that's how Mochizuki always went about it). The photos were funny to me too, because I didn't expect camping photos over two years to be viewed like this. They'd all been taken at night.


Remember how I'm doing those traffic camera things where I take an image from them once a day? Six months' worth of photos ran together time-lapse like where in that as well - of Merivale Road, Woodroffe, and West Huntclub (though that one was over the course of several minutes). If anyone saw me on January 10th, 2010, on a late route 95 with a camcorder in my lap, they wouldn't know that in over a years' time they'd be (flittingly, within a microsecond since it's so fast) viewed on screen in a play. I'd taken a time-lapse of my bus ride home one night and ended up putting part of it in there.


It continues to show me that it's always good to get record-like footage of places and scenes like that over time, particularly time-lapsed. I had a diverse and large range of footage I had at my disposal already for this project, as well as photos, and it's inevitably been put to special use and actually shown to all the people going to see the school play.


It's pretty cool. And so fun and neat that it makes me happy, to the point I laugh. This closes the whole project, and ultimately it was a success.


Justin C.

No comments: