Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Yes, believe the "posted at" time at the bottom. I am writing this at 12:30 am Eastern Standard time, and it is already 2010.


I wanted to write this earlier; preferably before the '00 decade became history. But I had no time - I was finishing my journal, and I didn't even do that in time.


So, I can only take solace in the fact that it is not 2010 yet in places like Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver, so this actually WAS written in 2009. And you thought I couldn't go back in time. Ha ha!


In this post I'm going to offer up my thoughts on this past year and decade. It will not be too long - I've already done this, twice, in my journal and another document, so I'm not really up to being extremely tedious and selective and blah blah blah. I've tired myself out by now. So here we go.


2009 was a pretty good year, better than most for several reasons. . .oh, wait, I have to describe a photo I just uploaded, wait a sec. . .


Alright, there it is. It's a photo of my TV screen, a great monochrome, of what happened elsewhere way more exciting than my basement. Now let's actually get a move on.


Yes, 2009 was a great year, better than others for a few reasons. For one, it was a year in which I was way more active in things. I started a co-op placement in February which turned me into a reporter for my favourite newspaper, a reporter of what went on at school. It was a nice, easy going job (until the deadline came) and the outcome is that I got to pursue my interests in photography and had the opportunity to get in on the action of school events and functions I never otherwise attended. I was at the top in grade 12. In 2008 I was off in some basement somewhere in a government building on Carling for my co-op placement. This year, I was on stage in the thick of it as the photographer for a big Cancer fundraiser event. It happened in 2008 - I just wasn't there at all and hadn't heard of it until I saw it in the yearbook, wishing I'd been there.


This year saw me doing more things, and trying things I'd never done before, such as asking someone out. I'd never asked a girl before. It was the most memorable, happiest day of the year for me. Might have been the happiest of the decade, since it was something I'd been gaining the courage to do since grade seven in 2003. Not for the same person of course but general girls I was interested in over the course of those years.


For the decade in particular, it was really a learning experience - adolescence is always a learning experience - and I met huge amounts of people, some of whom I became friends with. There were good times and bad times, some times being hugely wonderful, like mentioned above. I don't really know what else to say; it's almost 1:30 here in Ottawa. I traveled this past decade, both with my mother and father. I went to places such as Quebec City, Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, Toronto, Vancouver, Lake Superior, and San Diego in 2008, my first international flight. I've swam in the salty waters of the Pacific and walked out into the Atlantic when the tide was low. I saw Toronto from high up in the CN Tower and built sand castles on the shores of Lake Superior. I walked down West Pender Street in Vancouver and up Younge Street in Toronto. I took huge amounts of photos of everything and played drums to Madness all the time, eventually playing bass as well. I flew around Ottawa on my 12th birthday and ate with all my teachers at Boston Pizza on my 18th. Two of my relatives were born in this decade, my half-sister and my cousin Nadya. I went camping with my father and family to Algonquin Park and then did it with the outdoor ed. group in grade ten. I finished through all my education. I started driving. I was in the Rideau Canoe Club for a time, kayaking in Mooney's Bay during the summer (very fun). I made a lot of friends and lost a lot of friends. I stayed away from girls due to shyness until high school, and had a friend who was of that gender by grade 10. I started college. 


I got a lot of things done.


Anyway there's too huge an amount of things to list or talk about, so the most I'll say is that it was the decade of my life. The decade in which I'm forever young. Decades of the future see me as an aging adult. Here's the best days of my childhood and adolescence. I can't and won't forget it. I'm putting together a chronology of all things I've done significantly this past ten years, and I've called it a 'Decade Book,' similar to the Yearbook. It's full of dates and photos, some of which were scanned in. I still have a lot to do, but it will be finished soon,  maybe I'll post parts of it on here. For the time being, however, goodbye to that wonderful decade of the '00s. The first decade of the millennium. 


The decade of my life.


Justin C.

No comments: