Tuesday, September 15, 2009

March of the Gherkins!

I've waited a long while for this - now it's on.

For any of you who are tired of my Madness ravings, this post isn't the remedy.

There's a guy on YouTube - amazing - who just uploads Madness recording after Madness recording. Thanks to him I've heard stuff I've never heard before. From studio recordings to demo tapes, to sessions, to extra instrumentals or demoes that I've never even heard of before - he's uploaded it.

When I got the vinyl album Keep Moving - a gift from the head of English at my old high school before he moved - I'd heard this awesome song called 'March of the Gherkins.' Since it was on a vinyl disk I couldn't exactly have it on my computer, where I could hear it better and stuff. Tonight, by coincidence, that guy I mentioned uploaded it.

So here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to review the song, because I haven't got many reviews out there except the new album review and the "If you think there's something" review (which was kind of weird).



The song is about getting on in life, with age. It's kind of a reminescence of one's younger times, when they had fun with friends and went through some unforgettable experiences, like having fun at "Tammoland" and holding hands with a girl from around the way. I actually thought of using the song to make a video for my uncle's 50th birthday, because it suited the age group so well. But like I said, the song was only on my vinyl album and not on the computer.

The music has a nice beat to it, and every instrument fits the tone and goes in the right direction. What makes the song good is the harmony with the instruments and the proper tone they set for the lyrics. It sounds like it is told from the point-of-view of a world-wise adult who was once told to "grow up soon, face his consequences." The trumpet/sax combination helps to energize the song and the bass keeps it going. This was perhaps the album's most sunny, cheerful, reflective songs. It is probably the song on the album that also has the oddest name - a gherkin is like a cucumber, and is often served with fish and chips in England.

Overall the song is upbeat, cheery and nice to listen to. Maybe it was written as someone who had a mid-life crises, but all in all, like I said, it works. I'm surprised it wasn't a single - the two singles off that album were "Keep Moving," a jazz-like number about moving along, and "One Better Day," about two homeless tramps finding each other and falling in love - which isn't so bad, but it kind of has a sad premise. And "The Sun and the Rain," which is also quite good though I think the bass drum kind of sounds a little silly during the verses (unless it's attempting to emulate the pitter-patter of rain drops).

The song recieves an A- from me. Now I think I'll go and listen to it again. It actually makes me remember good memories I had with my cousins when we were all younger, going crazy at my grandparents.

-Justin C.



No comments: