Saturday, May 16, 2009

Thursday - Part 2

Here's the second part of that mildy annoying Thursday. Inspired to write this by Karl Van Dusen.

Approximately six people were hanging out in my English classroom at the end of the period between the warning bell and the actual starting bell. According to the class list there is roughly 24 people in the class, but on average we have from seven to fifteen. A lot of people just didn’t come to class, and usually every class started with six people and then grew as more people filtered in throughout the period, late. On this occasion, me included, the class rounded out to about nine people. The teacher, Ms. Rankin, was missing. There was a note on the board saying she’d be along soon, and that students should read their novels. This didn’t really apply to me – I’d finished the novel, or novella, last week and I’d just finished, the previous night, the second one in the book. It was currently at home because I’d taken it home to read against my better judgement. I say this because I never take stuff home because I don’t want to forget it. And that’s what I inevitably did. It just occurred to me that this happened when I got to class: Usually I hang around the door and walk around outside to catch a few people. As I walked out there, I suddenly noticed this girl standing at the side of the hall across from a doorway. She suddenly looked away – from my direction, I think, – and walked quickly into the room.
The note mentioned above didn’t apply to the class either. They spent ten minutes sitting around talking and walking around, then they declared they were leaving. Which they did. I, angry at the moment due to the fact I had to go straight to class immediately upon arrival, stood outside the door to the room, waiting for Ms. Rankin. As I watched down the hall, very little activity was going on. An announcement came on saying to bring the recycling down the foyer, so I volunteered myself and took it down. Reaching the foyer I saw that that same girl was there, handling the bags that people emptied their recycling into. I had the weird impression as I walked over to another bag handler that she knew I was there. I wasn’t too hard to notice with my purple golf shirt on I bet. I soon walked upstairs to regain my stance next to the door, waiting for Ms. Rankin.
She arrived twenty minutes later, it seemed. When Ms. Rankin got into class and settled in, she then suddenly went away again to check her mailbox in the office. The rest of the class, what was left of it, just read the whole period. It wasn’t very exhilarating.
Photography next period was also a no-brainer, with my friend Fred spending eighty percent of the period working on one question in his book. At the beginning we’d had an arm wrestle on the table, and I’d won. After I’d finished printing a few photos I decided to get him done with it.
“Fred, if you are panning, you use a slow shutter speed, which means more light isn’t as good, so what should your aperture be?” The question was asking what aperture would be appropriate if he were to accomplish a panning shot.
“Uh....f.....”
“Shouldn’t it be in the range of like, maybe f/8? Or f/11? The higher the number, the less light is let in to overexpose it.”
He spoke slowly. “Uh....I guess....maybe 8?”
“Maybe. Or 11.”
In the end I ended up dictating, slowly so he could write each and every word down, my thoughtful answer to his question:
“F/11 AS AN F/STOP WOULD BE AN APPROPRIATE APERTURE FOR THE REQUIRED SHUTTER SPEED IN THIS SITUATION.”
If I dictated every word for him, I also dictated every letter. He couldn’t spell ‘appropriate,’ ‘required’ or ‘situation.’ After that he finally got to developing one photo from his negatives in the last seven minutes.
Lunchtime started with me getting a small chocolate milk and rain. My day hadn’t been going too well. I walked to the hallway building transfer and looked out the rain-dropped windows. I decided, after finishing the milk, to check with Ms. Rafuse, who I had an appointment with, and found she was just busy at the moment. That was fine. I headed off to the basement to see Duncan. When I got there I saw that the music department he was in was still busy having their meeting. Darn it. I scrambled out of there.
I tried again later, and got him. I got him walking toward the lockers in front of the hallway toward the T-wing, and I asked him about the bike situation. I stalled for as long as possible, even talking about how there’s an interesting sort of connection between music students despite all the rambunctiousness and action. Then I left to walk in the rain in full visibility of that hallway outside.

No comments: