Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ah, My First Musical Experience

I went to see a musical.

Some, like myself, would call it my first musical experience. As a student of the school that produced said musical, it's my first experience as a student.

It was a musical called Urinetown. As I needed to write two stories a week as part of my co-op placement with the Barrhaven Independent, this functioned as just that. Thing is, I don't have a great interest in musicals. The kind of music played. The way it's sung. The way the actors burst into song so much. I had been to a Merivale production before, but then it was with my grade 7 class, and I had to go. I remember it being okay, but at that time I was more concentrated on the girl sitting on the other side of my best friend, and the pianist who seemed so good I starred at him for awhile.
This time it was due to my job, and because I was a little interested. I was. And besides, the drama teacher who directed this and I are good friends, and i think it was a nice gesture. Here's what I thought of it:
I was happy that I wasn't late. My mother and I arrived within ten minutes of the show. I was excused from having to buy tickets, but my mother had to pay fifteen bucks at the door. We went in and I met with a few people I knew including the director and a friend. My mother spent the time looking for seats, sitting down in the reserved spots before I had to make her relocate. When the time came, ushers closed the doors, the windows blacked out. All outdoor windows were blacked out in the room, ensuring perfect lighting situations. We sat down and a student, Sam Toews, came on stage to tell people all cell phones had to be turned off, etc etc.
I spent the first fifteen minutes scanning the program and looking up cast members and acts. The show only had 2 acts, and there were ten or eleven musical numbers in each. When I directed my attention to the stage, people were either dancing or acting, and it took a little while for me to understand what they were saying because they were speaking too fast sometimes. I mentally counted down how many songs were left to the intermission.
Eventually the intermission came along and the lights brightened again. People got up and walked around, gathering about in the inner foyer outside. I did some mingling about, moving between rooms, and I managed to catch some nice photos of the sunset outside the doors. Walking back in, my friend Lyndsay came walking up. She was part of the band, playing clarinet.
"Hi, I didn't think you'd be here."
"No. I have to, it's my job." I kept walking.
The second act contained another round of musical numbers and bits of acting. I got the story alright. Part of me liked it okay, and part of me couldn't wait to get through it. Some people were really good and cool. The rest was all support for them. It was a bit funny at times. Eventually they came near the end and that guy Sam I mentioned at the beginning, who played a policeman, noted that it did not have a happy ending and that the town dried up due to free use of the washrooms and the drought.
What I found interesting about the whole thing was that there were some really young people up on that stage, and a lot of people I knew by sight around school were unrecognizable. Afterwards, when I was brought to the library to interview select people (the library was the cast's hospitality area), I saw many people come out that I was quite surprised was actually in the show. I went in to interview the school co-president who played a weird guy, and then policeman/narrator/introducer Sam Toews. After that I was out of there.
The whole experience was interesting. Not the coolest, funnest one, but interesting nonetheless.
At least I got to see a Merivale production as a student before I graduated.
Tuesday I'm spending an hour driving. It's my second lesson and I get out of school at the beginning of lunch. It should be fun. If not so overwhelming.
Now I have to write my article.

No comments: